Designing a healthier environment is possible thanks to cork flooring by Granorte.
While our living spaces may never be completely free of allergens, installing cork flooring, specifically those from Granorte, can help control dust mites, mold, pollen, airborne chemicals, and other allergy–causing agents that can be found on floor surfaces. This is due to cork's natural antibacterial properties. To help bolster those properties, Granorte's cork-based floors come with surface finishes that prevent the accumulation of dust and dirt and the growth of germs, fungus, or bacteria.
Furthermore, Granorte takes their flooring a step-further by useing a built-in Microban® antibacterial technology that gives products an added level of protection against microbes such as stain and odor causing bacteria, mold and mildew, thus actively contributing to a healthy and hygienic environment. With this in mind, it's no surprise that these innovative solutions comply with CARB phase 2, US EPA TSCA Title VI, and they are GREENGUARD® GOLD certified, reducing the amount of toxins in your home, helping you breathe a little easier.
In short, Granorte products are free from:
- Materials included in the SVHC list of REACH
- Substances considered to be PBT (persistent, bioaccumulative and toxic) according to EU evaluations.
- Materials classified as category 1A and 1B carcinogenic, mutagenic or toxic.
- Substances considered to be category 1 or 2 endocrine disruptors.
- Phenols, including Bisphenol A, Bisphenol S and Bisphenol F.
- Heavy metals.
- Chlorinated Polyethylene (CPE) and Chlorosulfonated Polyethylene (CSPE).
- Chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) and Hydrochlorofluorocarbons (HCFCs).
- Formaldehyde (added).
- Halogenated Flame Retardants.
- Polychlorinated Biphenyls (PCBs).
- Perfluorinated Compounds (PFCs).
- Alkylphenol ethoxylates and derivates.
- Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC), Chlorinated Polyvinyl Chloride (CPVC) and Polyvinylidene Chloride (PVDC).
- Short Chain Chlorinated Paraffins (SCCPs).
- Creosote, Arsenic or Pentachloropheno.
- Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) in coatings and adhesives (within limits).
Granorte Products Are Environmentally Friendly And Sustainable:
- The cork tree, a slow growing tree, lives 200+ years.
- The tree is not cut or damaged to harvest the cork bark.
- The cork bark is regenerated after each harvest every nine years - a renewable raw material.
- The cork oaks prevent soil degradation and desertification.
- The cork forests are Important in maintaining biodiversity (unique in Europe).
- Portuguese cork forests trap 5 million tons of CO2 every year.
The Ecological Production Process:
- The cork residues resulting from the process are incorporated at 100% in production.
- The resulting cork powder is used to generate energy used in production (more than 1/3 of the energy used in Granorte comes from this source).
- Production free of solvents, plasticizers and other hazardous chemicals.
- Product development focused on ecodesign.
Use With Low Eco Impact:
- Cork products contribute to reducing global warming as they retain more CO2 than they emit.
- Cork promotes energy savings.
- Simple and economical application and maintenance.
- Cork is a durable, reusable and recyclable material.
End-of-life With Low Environmental Impact:
- Easy disassembly.
- Practice of end-of-life strategies focused on reuse and recovery.
- Cork is a recyclable and biodegradable material.
- No health hazards can occur at the disposal stage.
Positive Social And Economic Impact:
- Cork harvest (a cross-generational activity) is a regular process that contributes to the social, economic and environmental sustainability of rural areas.
- The cork sector and related activities create direct employment (about 10,000 in industry and 6,000 in the forest).
- Cork products are mainly for export and account for about 2% of total Portuguese exports.
Please note: due to the current pandemic, Summit International Flooring does not have Granorte samples or design binders in our warehouse. However, once we have the ability to update our stock, we will be sending these products out to our sales representatives around the country. Therefore, if you would like to be one of the first to receive Granorte samples, please send us an email: email@example.com